Skip to main content

A CASE OF EMOTIONAL ABUSE

 



What do you have with him? Why is he calling you? Who is he?  

She's couldn't answer the questions anymore. She decides to stay away from her male friends. It was the only way to have peace.

He made her believe she was for him only. He dreamt a lot. In those dreams he shared with her, it was mostly about their wedding.  He claims God speaks to him through his dreams and he believed they were meant to be.

She decides to tag along. "If it's meant to be, then we have to make it work. We will learn to manage ourselves."

He was broke. A student with little to no support from home. She didn't mind. She was willing to share. She shared with him from her little allowance.

Not long, the "thank you" became "I hate you" in actions not called for. Occasionally he would remind her of his Dad's lectures; "Do not take money from a woman, she will disrespect you in return."

Nevertheless, she bore it all. 

They lived in different states. The relationship was over the phone.


On a cool evening, it felt like the perfect time to talk. She called. He answered and said, he would call her back once he got home.

An hour later, she called back. Same story. He was with some fellowship members and this fellowship sister in particular.

She dare not go to bed without them talking. All hell would be let loosed. He always gets mad if she goes to bed early or without hearing from him first.

It was almost midnight. Then he called.  Nothing important was said. Just stories about the folks that made him call her so late at night.

As days went by, the fighting became more frequent. He felt he could treat her anyhow, after all, she had no place to go. She can never leave him.  

It was evening. She hadn't heard from him all day. She knew he was broke. She called him. He said he was at a viewing center.

"So you have some cash to go watch a football match and you couldn't call me?"

He said he'd call back soon.

That evening, some friends paid her a visit. They were on assignment to drop an item with her. She attended to them. They left. She was alone in the house and she went on to lock the windows and the doors and finally retire to her room.

She checked her phone. He had called. She didn't hear the phone ring.

She called back to explain why she missed his calls.  The friends who came by were male friends. They came at 8PM.  

He couldn't have it. The questions; Who? Why? What? The tone wasn't friendly. 

She tried to calm him down, but to no avail.

Then he said; " stay away from me".

She obeyed.

Days passed. She didn't call him. Her radio was her companion. She didn't feel alone. She didn't feel the connection between them. It had disappeared.


Finally, he called. 

Him: "why haven't you called me?"

Her: "You said I should stay away from you"

Him: "You know I don't mean it"

Her: "Well, I had to give you your space. You didn't believe my story and I feel offended."

Him:  "A lot has been happening with me."

Her: "I think you owe me an apology"

Him: No! You owe me an apology. You are the reason I'm in this situation. You don't care about me. I cursed the day I met you. You.....


He went on and on, blaming her for things she didn't do.  He made her feel like she was a terrible person.  He blamed her for things that he did. 

"I'm done". The words came out.

She told him it was over.


He thought it was a joke.

She stopped talking to him.  He wouldn't have it. He kept sending her messages. Weeks passed, she never replied.

He couldn't understand how she broke up with him.

One day, he sent her a message. In that text, he explained something crucial.

Then, she understood why the connection got lost. 

He cheated!

That same fellowship sister, who was 5 years older than him, engaged to be married, he cheated with her.

He felt she knew somehow and that was the reason she left him.

He never understood what he made her go through. He never understood the emotional abuse, the gaslighting, the torture. 

Finally, she is free. 


Do you know the signs of Emotional abuse?

It starts so subtly. They make you feel like they are looking after you, protecting you. When they are actually imprisoning you or isolating you from your loved ones.


The best thing to do, is to walk away.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joy Of Motherhood

" She's here! What should I do with her? How am I going to do this? Where should I start from? Oh God, I can't. I just can't. She's cute but she's stuck with me now. I don't think I can do this."  Jay wouldn't stop lamenting. Her daughter has just been born. It was her first child. It wasn't an easy ordeal for her, but she didn't want to think about it. She's was protecting her mental health.  Her fears almost consumed her. Not until her baby was brought to be fed had she felt any connection. The moment her baby latched to her breast, it was a different experience entirely. One she will never forget. It felt like a message. One that said, "Hey mummy, I couldn't wait to do this with you. I am yours fully. I depend strongly on you. You are my mother and I know that. I wouldn't give up on you. I wouldn't let you go. I am here for you and I love you." Words could not express how she felt. She saw her baby's helples

SEXUAL HARASSMENT

 It was in the year, 2004. She was in Junior class 3. A quiet and simple girl. The school authorities admired her. He was one of her school teachers.  A short man, who loves to use a short cane.  He was called Uncle E.  He had been her teacher since class 1. But something happened. While teaching in class, he wouldn't stop staring at her. It was too much that she got embarrassed. He would walk to her seat, put his hands on her shoulder, locate her bra handle, drag it up, and let it go. It got to a point, her friends had to switch seats with her, so short Uncle E's hands wouldn't get to her. One day, he said; " You are my loving girl". And other words that got her confused. She went home, told her mum all that has happened. Her mum got angry.  She reported to an authority in the school. One of the vice principals. He, the vice principal, decided to talk with the teacher first. But Uncle E told the principal to bring the case to the class to confirm all that had hap

PRAYING ON A WEDDING DRESS

 Well, I know what you are thinking. But that’s not it this time. It’s about something else. Have you heard of good intention, but bad execution? That’s the case here. It’s about Bee and Jee. They were close friends. Bee was a little older, but they were both within the same age bracket. Jee had a guy who was really obsessed with her. She was really beautiful, and he didn’t want to lose her. Now, you can understand his insecurities. She agreed to marry him. Bee was a strong support system for Jee. She did everything she could to make sure the wedding was a success. Bee wanted Jee to have the best wedding dress at little or no cost. She could get the perfect dress for Jee. She was really excited to see Jee in the dress. She wanted to see how it fit, if it needed amendments, or if they should search for another one. But Jee refused to wear the dress. Bee kept saying, “try the dress Jee”. Jee folded the dress and kept it in her bag. She said she had to take the dress home first. “Why is t